Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Ten Then

It finally happened.  Ash turned 11 months on October 19th and I still haven't blogged about his 10th month.  Most people can't remember what they had for breakfast and now I somehow need to remember what Ash was up to between August 19th and September 19th.  Ughh!  Here goes nothing.

Yep... it was that kind of month.  The poor boy was sick almost the entire month of September, so the day of our photo shoot, he was not a happy camper.  Between my photography skills that seem to be getting worse as I go along and him not feeling well, we didn't get any good smiling shots.  If he was smiling, he was out of focus and if he was magically in focus, he was sad, grumpy, exhausted, yucky, etc...

This one was okay.  He's so cute, but his eyes aren't sharp.  Can you tell he is low energy, even though he's trying to smile?

Poor Ashy.  We tried, but yucky coughs, runny nose and watery eyes won out.

In fact.... this is what he looked like the morning he turned 10 months, which is why we waited a few days to do the photo shoot.  We had to let him get a little better.

Enough jibber, jabber... In his 10th month Ashy revisited avocados and to my delight, gobbled them up.

He also decided he was perfectly capable of feeding himself, thank you very much and if you thought he was a messy eater before, you better run for cover now.  I usually feed him with two spoons.  One he grabs and the other I use to shovel food into his mouth while he is preoccupied painting the house with sweet potatoes... i.e. feeding himself.

He went on his longest road trip yet... 13 hours in the van... but it was worth it.  He was able to meet Grandma Susan and Grandpa Bud for the first time.

 We had lots of fun feeding the fish and visiting.  It was also the only day of our trip that Northern California wasn't hot as Hades.

Then it was off to meet Uncle Shannon and cousin Paden.

 Ashy and River got to four wheel for the first time.  It was super safe, I promise.

Look, see, a helmet and everything.  Granted the helmet was so heavy River couldn't walk straight with it on!  Ashy Boy liked it okay, but River could not get enough.  He kept telling me to go faster and when I didn't comply, he grabbed my hand and gassed it.

Then he got to meet his Great Aunt Shawnee.  He loved all the hugs and kisses.

He didn't mind the attention one single bit.

Then it was off to swim in Great Uncle Spike's swimming pool.  Thank goodness, because it was HOT!

Ash went swimming a lot this summer, but with two boys, it was almost impossible for me to get any pictures.  I was glad to have Bear with me on this occasion and get a couple shots of Ash in the water.  He likes playing in the water, but where River loved it and would jump right in, Ash likes you to hold him close while he gets used to it for a minute.

He loves the game peek-a-boo and anytime you put him down for a nap, he will grab his blanket and put it over his face and rip it away and smile.  I am pretty sure it is a stall tactic, but I don't have the strength to resist.

Last month he learned to wave and clap.  The claps have faded out, but Ash is a waving machine.  He gets really upset if I don't bring him out to say goodnight and wave to everyone before he sleeps.  River always waved with his wrist, like he was turning a door knob, but Ashy waves with his whole arm going up and down and he doesn't stop till the bedroom door closes.

Ashy still won't do tummy time and isn't close to crawling, but he spins in circles while he is sitting on his bum.  I have to keep rotating him back towards me whenever I try and feed him vegetables.

He still won't put weight on his legs and spends minimal time in the bouncer.  He truly is content to be carried everywhere, like the little prince that he is.

Speaking of that, he learned to point and does it with a vengeance.  You better get him what/where he wants fast.

No new words... just mama, dada and mom and dad.

He does all the car sound affects when he is playing with his toys and he always wants what River has and visa-versa... it truly is an unwritten law of childhood... Thou shalt steal thy siblings toys and make them cry.

He developed a diaper rash that will not go away.  The doctor described it as fierce.  I feel like we've tried everything.  It is itchy too, so changing diapers is a real trial, because he immediately scratches the area and gets you know what EVERYWHERE.  It really is a two person job.  If Bear's not home and I don't have anyone else to pin his arms down, it is very likely he will end up in the tub afterwards.

He was down to just one wake-up a night and had slept through the night once, or twice, but with the sickness and the vacation, he is back to multiple wake-ups at night.

He is a snuggler.  He loves to rest his head on your shoulder.

He is really starting to bounce to music.  Maybe if he would stand, I could call it dancing???

He likes to purse his lips "duck lip" style.  I've failed in my mission to get a picture of it, but it is hilarious the amount of attitude this child has.

He was so tired and sick, he passed out on my bed while I was changing him into his jammies.  He never does that.  What a sweetie pie.  I look at this picture and I never, ever want my kids to grow up.  I want to hug and snuggle with them forever and ever.  Who needs facial hair and too much cologne?  Stay little my boys.  I guess it is pretty good when you can feel that way after a whole month of sickness and sleep deprivation.  Parenthood is such an oxymoron.

Here is my little River at ten months for comparison.

Cutest pumpkin in the patch if you ask me.

No comments: