Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Orange Is My New Favorite Color





Who knew that pureed carrots would change our lives this much? My pediatrician is a fan of starting babies on solids around month four. I thought this seemed way too early. A breast milk only diet was serving River just fine (let me count the rolls) and was plenty convenient in the preparation and clean up department. I liked the purity and simplicity of River living off of only me for the last 15 months. (In utero counts.) My mom didn't start me on solids till I was a year, so I thought I had plenty of time. River thought differently. Six months rolled around and the side long glances while I was eating, turned into full on obsessive stares. The boy wanted to eat! After he snuck a couple tastes of Greek yogurt from a stealthily grabbed spoon and finger dived into my lemon poppy seed gelato, I finally conceded.
*
I picked carrots as his official first food. It's a veggie, but sweeter than green beans. Plus the contrast of the orange on his green bib makes for some awesome pictures. I think all parenting decisions should be made according to what kind of photos it would make. Anyway, he took to eating with a spoon right away and it's worth the extra mess to watch him opening his mouth like a baby bird wanting more, more, more. So far carrots, blueberries, strawberries, and bananas have been a hit. Squash was a meh and green beans were a... Not on your life... how could you... don't you love me!?! I have to admit, as much as I want River to like green veggies, they did smell pretty bad.
*
So having not researched this, I am open to all advice/tips. Once a day, twice a day, meats yet??? Please don't make me read another baby book. I get all obsessivey/compulsivey and would much rather hear what worked best for you. Oh and speaking of how this has changed our life, don't even get me started on the fun, new surprises in his diaper. It's just carrots... Come On!


6 comments:

IrisLillie said...

Ohhhh, imagine my surprise when after almost a year you not eating anything.. then you started with a vengence...
And WOW were your diapers different.
WHOAH!!!

Jessica Fields Rudder said...

Awwwwww.....

Tell him if he eats the green beans you'll look the other way while he steals another bite of gelato.

Candice said...

A lot more cleanup, but what fun cleanup!

B and C said...

Just found your blog cause you commented about it on facebook. River is getting so big and he is just too cute! Oh and cute hair by the way. I think it looks really good on you!

Anonymous said...

My pediatrician talks about how the order you start kids on foods isn't nearly as important on the fact that you introduce a variety. He's even a fan of giving them soft meat and beans as soon as they get the hang of mashing things with their gums. Since Speed still has NO teeth at 9 months, it is especially funny to watch him eat things like meatballs (his favorite) or shredded chicken. Our ped is also a fan of introducing the more "allergen-likely" things early - scrambled eggs, peanut butter, nutella, strawberries, etc. There have been studies that show that kids who are exposed to these things earlier are LESS likely to be allergic to them later on. Speed's favorite lunch is a half of a peanut butter sandwich with homemade strawberry jam cut into little pieces he can feed himself. Then he caps it off with a whole banana and a nilla wafer. He hates baby food so he eats everything we eat - rice, noodles, roasted sweet potatoes, beans, cooked carrots, etc. And you're right - parenting is ALL about the pictures. :) He's so ADORABLE!

Scott and Stacia said...

I say go with your gut! We did cereal, vegetables, then fruits. The first meats I really fed my boys were the stage 3 foods. Jacen always gagged on food which in turn caused me to be worried for Brycen who wanted to try everything. I know people who fed their kids apple slices when they had no teeth, and they were fine. Try meat if you want, if it doesn't work out then try it later :) Good luck!!

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers