Friday, October 7, 2011

Smarty Pants

I was minding my own business yesterday morning, trying to check my emails before River got bored of his toys, when all of a sudden I heard him say, "Emmmm Emmmm Emmmm".  "Huh?"  I thought.  "What word is he trying to say?"  That's when he came around the couch and handed me a block with the letter M on it and said again, "Emmm".  Holy Hannah!  Shut The Front Door!  Are those annoying alphabet shows we play while I try to cook dinner, actually teaching you something???
*
Later that night, I put on the alphabet shows again.  We watch Leap Frogs Amazing Alphabet and Signing Times ABC Video.  Always before, he watched quietly with his thumb in his mouth, but not this time.



Pretty good, even if he's just parroting most of them.  He went from never having said any names of letters, to saying all but the letter Z in one day.  I don't know why he won't say Z.  He's heard that letter more than any of the others, because he has a cousin named Zander that we call Z.  Maybe he just runs out of steam by then.
*
I admit.... I haven't been diligent in keeping up with what milestones a brand new 21 month old is supposed to make.  From what I can tell, they mostly revolve around throwing temper tantrums and not wanting to share.  Therefore, I can't be sure if River saying all his letters yesterday is early, right on track, or WHAT? your kids are already writing in cursive!  Regardless, no astrophysicist, Pulitzer Prize winner, or President has ever impressed me more.
*
P.S.  My favorite part of the video is where he attempts to say W and then he tries to speed sign the abc's like Rachel does in the video.


3 comments:

Jessica Lynn said...

That is so cute.

He's working so hard to get those letters right (and he's having fun!).

Not to foster competition, but, it looks like he's at the early end of the letter learning. Most people were quoting 2 - 2.5 to start learning and recognizing letters. I'm not surprised that the little man is a genius. :)

I wonder if he won't say Z because he associates it with Zander so it doesn't make sense to him that they keep saying "Z" and showing a zipper. He might be thinking, "Yeah, I know Z and that is definitely not Z!"

Beandip said...

I agree with Jess on the Z reasoning. That makes total sense! He is so cute, and I love that he all of a sudden decided that one day to say them all ha, kids are so funny! Anyways, good job to my homeboy! Miss you!

Scott and Stacia said...

My favorite part is also when he tries to speed sign all the letters. He sure is smart.

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers